Recipe: Moroccan-style chickpeas with couscous
From The Barn's cookbook
A vegan, non-dairy main meal that's hearty and delicious!
3 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground paprika
¼ tsp ground turmeric
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
310g cooked and drained chickpeas (or 1 tin of chickpeas)
310g peeled, seeded pumpkin or butternut squash, diced
2 tbsp raisins
300ml vegetable stock or bouillon
115g courgettes, diced
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
Salt & pepper to taste
285g wholemeal couscous
1 tbsp olive oil
Making this dish
- Heat the oil in a large pan and gently fry the onion for 3-4 minutes.
- Add all the spices and stir for a minute or two.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes until they are soft.
- Add the chickpeas, pumpkin or squash, raisins, stock, water and bring to a simmer. Cover, turn the heat to low and cook for about 15 minutes or until the pumpkin is just tender.
- Add the courgette and simmer, uncovered, for another 5 minutes, stirring gently now and then.
- Add the coriander and parsley and season to taste just before serving.
For the couscous
- Put the oil in a heavy pan and heat. Put in the couscous and stir fry for about 2-3 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add 475 ml boiling water and stir once. Cover tightly and let the pan sit in a warm place for a further 15 minutes. Fluff thoroughly with a fork before serving.
- Put a mound of couscous on each plate.
- Make a well in the centre and put in the stew, sprinkling the couscous with some of the sauce.
Pictures by Guy Clarke