Barn recipe: celeriac lasagne
Published: 21 December 2017
This recipe is vegan & gluten-free
Ingredients & method
Peel celeriac and slice as thinly as you can manage. Blanch in a pot of salted boiling water then rinse and soak in cold water until ready to use.
FOR THE PEA & CASHEW FILLING LAYER:
1 small bag frozen peas (approx 400g) or fresh peas if available
Half-cup of raw cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours
2 tbsp olive oil
zest of 1 lemon
black pepper & salt to taste
Cook peas for 2 minutes until bright green, then drain. Blend cashews with olive oil and lemon, adding a little water if it is too thick. Add in peas, salt and pepper.
FOR THE MUSHROOM & KALE/SPINACH FILLING LAYER:
3 tbsp olive oil
12 medium-size chestnut mushrooms, sliced
3 cups chopped kale or spinach
5 cloves of garlic, minced or finely chopped
Saute mushrooms with a pinch of salt in 2 tbsp of oil until nicely browned. Add half the garlic and cook for another minute.
Remove from pan and put aside. Add the rest of the oil and cook the kale with the remaining garlic until wilted. Take off the heat.
FOR THE TOMATO & HERB FILLING LAYER:
1 medium onion
1 cup passata
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tbsp olive oil
Fry the onion and garlic in the olive oil until soft. Add the passata, oregano, salt and pepper and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes.
FOR THE BECHAMEL:
1 tbsp cornflour
1 cup milk (whatever sort you use)
Half cup bouillon or vegetable stock
3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
pinch of salt
In a small saucepan, blend milk little by little with the cornflour. Add stock and slowly bring to the boil. Take off the heat and stir in the remaining ingredients.
Putting it all together
- In an oiled baking dish, lay slices of celeriac to make a layer (it's OK if there are small spaces).
- Gently spread the pea mixture as a layer over the celeriac, then add more celeriac.
- Next the mushroom and kale layer, more celeriac, the tomato & herb sauce and another layer of celeriac.
- Finally spread the bechamel sauce over and top with one last layer of celeriac.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Cover with foil and bake at 200oC, gas mark 6 for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes
This recipe appears in The Barn cookbook - available for sale in The Barn