Barn recipe: sweet potato, lentil and vegetable curry
This recipe is a new favourite of Barn Manager Tasha Bassingthwaighte, and was given to The Barn by a participant staying on retreat.
"I've eaten a lot of curries here and before I came here, but this one is very different," said Tasha. "It's sweet, a little bit spicey and quite hearty".
It's so good that it will be going into a new-look Barn cookbook coming out later this year (the other ones are nearly sold out!)
1 large onion
1 large apple
75ml to 1 litre of water
55g red lentils
60 ml coconut milk
2 tbsp raisins
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp curry powder
¼ tsp turmeric powder
¼ tsp cumin
¼ tsp coriander powder
¼ tsp chili powder
¼ cup ground almonds
1 clove garlic
1 small sweet potato, cubed
1 cup seasonal vegetables of your choice, diced
- Dice the onion, finely chop garlic and grate apple
- Sweat the onion in plenty of oil for at least ten minutes, until onion softens and starts to brown. Keep heat low.
- Add grated apple, ground spices and garlic and cook for a few more minutes
- Add all remaining ingredients except for the sweet potato and vegetables, bring to a boil and simmer covered, for at least one hour. It should become a thick sauce. Add water if needed.
- Use hand blender to create a smooth sauce. Thicken using a tablespoon of flour mixed with water if needed.
- Put back on heat and add sweet potato and vegetables. Bring to a boil and simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Serve with rice or another grain alternative of your choice.
This recipe appears in The Barn cookbook - available for sale in The Barn