Camping at The Sharpham Trust
Are you looking for a venue for your group's overnight camping expedition or weekly camp?
The site available for camping at Sharpham is Point Field, (Ashprington Point), which borders the River Dart and is great for a stopover while on a canoeing trip. The camp site has room to pitch up to 10-12 small tents.
There is a slight slope on which you can pitch more (although be aware that close to the water's edge may be prone to flooding - check the tides before pitching there).
Facilities are limited and the site is suited to people who like their camping on the wilder side. There is however running water and two compost toilets and an option to have a fire.
Please not that access to the site by vehicles is not straightforward.
- Charge - £7 per person per night (pppn)
- Children under five years – FREE
- Exclusive use £150 per night (min charge) - For up to 21 people. Anyone additional will be charged at £7 each.
- Maximum group size 21 – contact us if you wish to have a larger group
All camps must be booked at least two weeks in advance with our Programme Administrator.
Email: [email protected] or Tel: 01803 732542 (available weekdays 9am-5pm leaving at 4.30pm on Friday)
Access to Point Field Campsite
Access to Point field is not straightforward.
Point Field is accessed via Duncannon Lane from Ashprington Village. The lane is not a surfaced road, but should be accessible by car when dry and with care and at your own risk.
If you have booked in to the campsite you may drive along the lane to drop off your equipment at the field BUT
- All vehicles must be kept off site. The top access gate must be kept padlocked at all times.
- DO NOT drive on to the field unless you are driving a 4x4 vehicle.
- If you drive on to the field and get stuck and need us to tow you off we will charge you £120.
- Be aware of livestock that may be grazing in the field.
- STOP before the field gate in the turning area on the left to unload.
- DO NOT park anywhere along the lane or at the campsite, please return your car after dropping off equipment and park in Reservoir car park (see also below).
- DO NOT leave any valuables in your car.
Other points to mention
- Please be aware there is a public footpath across Point Field to the fish sculpture.
- All gates must be kept shut. For access to other areas e.g. woods, permission in advance must be sought from the Sharpham Trust.
- Point Field is fringed by a shingle beach and mud, so access is fine by canoe. Small sailing boats, provided they are happy to ‘sit’ on the beach and mud, have permission to moor here.
Access on to the field is only suitable for 4x4 vehicles. Once equipment has been unloaded, vehicles must be moved to the small car park (called Reservoir Car Park) on the road to Sharpham or in Ashprington village (approx. 1.8 km away).
Do not leave cars in the field. Do not drive on to the field without a 4x4 vehicle.
The reservoir car park is found by turning right out of the green lane at Ashprington and continuing up to Sharpham a short way. The car park, which is on the right, has a large ‘Welcome to Sharpham’ sign at its entrance. Cars parked here are left at your own risk.
On the flat area you can pitch up to 10-12 small tents. There is a slight slope on which you can pitch more tents (although be aware that close to the water’s edge may be prone to flooding - check the tides before pitching there).
Sorry, no dogs on site.
Fire site & firewood
Please only use the existing fire site on the point and bring your own wood. Under no circumstances is it acceptable to saw or snap branches from live trees. The wood will not burn well on a fire and it can cause permanent damage to the trees, wildlife and habitat that you and others are there to enjoy.
Do not set fires anywhere except in the fire pit on the point.
We have two compost toilets within the camping area, with code padlocks. Please keep them clean. Please ensure that the toilets are relocked when you leave. Our codes change from time to time so please check beforehand by phoning 01803 732542 to see if the code is still current.
Running water (not potable - MUST be boiled) is available near the camping area.
No amplified music.
Please leave the field as found, ensuring all litter, tent pegs etc are taken away.
Make sure all gates are shut and that the toilets have been relocked.
Health and safety
Please be aware there maybe, or have recently been, sheep or cattle in Point Field. Please keep away from the animals. If there are animals in the field they will be separated from the camping area by a fence. There will be a wooden gate in this fence for pedestrian access and a field gate for occasional vehicular access.
Please note that the health and safety, risk assessments and insurance for your group is entirely the responsibility of the group leader.
In case of emergency
Nearest public telephone is in the village of Ashprington.
Grid reference number for Point Field is sx836 573
To book, or for more information, contact:
Tel: 01803 732542
Email: [email protected]