Coronavirus Arrangements: Barn Retreats
We are monitoring closely the changing guidelines in relation to the coronavirus pandemic. The safety of our staff and guests is paramount. This page will be updated as the guidelines change so please check back here as your retreat date approaches.
We will be following the new Government Guidelines which come into force on Monday 14 September, aimed at limiting social interaction to groups of 6 people.
Meditation and dining can happen as a whole group providing social distancing is followed.
Other activities which involve social interaction will take place in groups of 6 people or individually.
We will put in place procedures designed to maintain 2 metre social distancing when participants are inside the Barn.
Obviously this will mean some amendments to our usual practices but we hope participants will understand the need for these changes.
We are only offering single-occupancy bedrooms
- There are 10 bedrooms
- All bed linen and towels are professionally laundered between retreats
Hygiene and cleaning
- The Barn will be deep-cleaned between retreats
- Communal bathrooms and shared spaces will be regularly cleaned
- Showers will be signed up for in advance and thoroughly cleaned between use
- Disinfectant materials will be provided in all bathrooms for participants to use
- Hand sanitiser will be provided at multiple locations
- We will control and limit access to The Barn by people not involved in the retreat
- Participants will be asked to bring their own thermos flask and drinking water bottle
- Carefully managing catering arrangements
- Food prepared by staff following the appropriate guidelines
- Creating two dining rooms to allow for socially distanced seating
- Participants can eat outside, weather permitting
- We will organise any activities so that they follow the social distancing guidelines
What if someone falls ill?
- If a participant becomes ill they will be able to self-isolate in their bedroom before leaving to return home where they can self-isolate as per the Public England guidelines
- If a member of staff falls ill they will leave the retreat and appropriate cover will be put in place
What if participants fall ill prior to the retreat?
- If you have any of the symptoms associated with the virus you should take the appropriate advice
- You should not attend the retreat if you have symptoms within two weeks of the start date
- In this scenario an option to transfer will be given
Should I wear a mask?
- The current government guidance is that face coverings must legally be worn in hotels and hostels which we broadly fall under - the guidance can be viewed here
- Please bring a suitable face covering to wear in The Barn (except in bedrooms, outdoors, during meditations, group shares and during mealtimes) The guidance says that coverings must fit around the face and nose, so visors/face shields are not suitable
- We cannot provide face coverings but we do provide hand sanitiser
- It is not practical for us to wash face coverings or masks so you will need to bring enough to allow you to wear a fresh one each day
How should I travel to the retreat?
- This is a personal choice
- We have sufficient car parking
- If you use public transport such as the train you can get a taxi from Totnes station to Sharpham
What if I am anxious?
- This is understandable and our leaders and staff will do everything to try and reassure participants and ensure you are safe
- For some people it might not be the right time to come on retreat. This is a personal decision and depends on many factors
What if the situation changes?
- We are constantly monitoring the situation. If necessary we will cancel the retreat and refund participants
- We would aim to do this with adequate notice
We are aware that this has been a difficult and stressful time for many and we are looking forward to welcoming you to Sharpham.
Our hope is that our programme of retreats will offer a much-needed opportunity for contemplation and personal reflection to help you take stock of the extraordinary times we are living in, as well as opportunities for connection with each other and with the natural world.
If you would like to know more about the information on this page, please contact:
Tel: 01803 732542
Email: [email protected]