Coronavirus Arrangements: Solitary Retreats
Updated 1 August 2022
Levels of the virus are still high and the safety of our staff and guests is paramount. We are carefully developing our risk assessment planning to ensure that we can make your stay here as safe as possible.
The Government announced the end of most Covid rules on 24 February 2022 and from April 1 it was no longer possible to obtain free Lateral Flow Tests
For the time being, we are continuing to ask participants to undertake a Lateral Flow Test (LFT) 48 hours before attending a retreat. It is no longer possible to obtain free LFTs and we are requesting that participants purchase their tests which will be available from most high street chemists.
This page will be updated as the guidelines change, so please check back here as your retreat date approaches.
We have worked hard to make all our retreat venues Covid-secure to ensure your safe stay with us, and we'll be taking a cautious approach to any relaxation of restrictions.
For more details, see the Covid-secure arrangements below.
We look forward to welcoming you.
Vaccines, testing and symptoms
We are asking all participants - regardless of their vaccination status - to provide proof of a negative Lateral Flow Test taken 48 hours before attending a retreat. We feel this is the best way to minimise any ongoing risk.
Please bring your lateral flow test or a photo of your lateral flow test to show us on arrival.
If you have any questions about the above, please let us know.
What happens if you develop symptoms or test positive whilst on retreat?
If you develop any of the main symptoms during a retreat or test positive you will be asked to self-isolate and return home as soon as possible.
The main symptoms of Coronavirus/COVID-19 are:
- a high temperature – this means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back (you do not need to measure your temperature)
- a new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual)
- a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste – this means you've noticed you cannot smell or taste anything, or things smell or taste different to normal
In this instance you will be offered a credit to be used on a future retreat, depending on how many days you have attended your current retreat.
If you think you might be developing any of these symptoms prior to the retreat please do not travel.
- We encourage participants to wear masks in communal areas but not during meditation or meals. This is optional but if there was a positive case during a retreat we would ask participants to wear masks to help minimise risk. This would not apply to those with a medical exemption.
Hygiene and cleaning
- The Kuti will be deep-cleaned between retreats
- Disinfectant materials will be provided for participants to use if they so wish
- Hand sanitiser will be provided at multiple locations
- We will control and limit access to The Barn and its surroundings by people not involved in the retreat
- Participants will be asked to bring their own thermos flask, cup and drinking water bottle
Shower and bathroom facilities
- Wash hands regularly before and after using the bathroom and at mealtimes. Hand sanitiser is also available
- All bed linen and towels are professionally laundered between retreats
- Catering arrangements are carefully managed
How should I travel to the retreat?
- This is a personal choice
- We have sufficient car parking
- If you use public transport such as the train you can get a taxi from Totnes station to Sharpham
What if the situation changes?
- We are constantly monitoring the situation: if necessary we will cancel the retreat and refund participants
- We would aim to do this with adequate notice
We are aware that this has been a difficult and stressful time for many and we are looking forward to welcoming you to Sharpham. Our hope is that our programme of retreats will offer a much-needed opportunity for contemplation and personal reflection to help you take stock of the extraordinary times we are living in, as well as opportunities for connection with each other and with the natural world.
If you would like to know more about the information on this page, please contact:
Tel: 01803 732542
Email: [email protected]