The Barn Retreat
Welcome to The Barn, a meditation retreat centre based on the Buddhist tradition in the beautiful Devon countryside of South West England.
Listed in 'Eight of the best retreats in Britain and Europe' ~ Simon Horsford, Sunday Telegraph 6 February 2011
Set in a stunning hillside location overlooking the River Dart, the Barn has been a friendly retreat centre for 25 years. It is a place where people are given the opportunity to reconnect with themselves and with nature in a tranquil, supportive environment.
Through a mixture of mindfulness practice, teacher-led inquiry and working meditation in our organic garden, retreatants develop a practice of mindfulness for everyday life.
Who are Barn retreats suitable for?
All retreats at the Barn are suitable for beginners as well as experienced meditators - in fact anyone who is willing and able to:
- Fully commit to doing a Buddhist meditation retreat for the period of their stay
- Follow our weekly schedule
- Undertake the Five Precepts described below
The Five Precepts
Knowing they would lead to a happier and more fulfilling life, the Buddha suggested his lay followers take the following Five Precepts, and we ask our retreatants to do the same for the duration of their stay:
"I undertake the training to refrain from..."
- harming any living being
- taking what is not offered
- sexual and sensual misconduct
- false speech (including idle gossip, harsh and divisive speech)
- taking substances which disturb the balance of the mind (and may lead me into committing any of the above)
A place in which to meditate
In the words of our retreatants
- Turn up, tune in, chill out!!! Lovely peace.
- Cathy (45), mum